I looked through my scrap pile and found a piece of what I think is ash, which measured 600mm in length and 27mm square.
I'd start by drilling a hole for the pencil, and using calipers I measured the width of a pencil at 7mm. I drilled a 7mm hole, but that was a bit tight so I came back with an 8mm bit, and then the pencil could slide in.
Welcome to part 2 of 2 videos about upgrading my workshop dust extraction system.
In part 1 I talked about my reasons for making the changes, and in this is part 2 I'll show you what I did and how I did it.
In this video I'm going to talk about why I'm upgrading the dust collection system in my workshop. This will be the first of two parts - in this video I'm covering why I'm upgrading, and in the second part I'll show what I'm upgrading to and how I upgraded it.
This is going to be predominantly a talking video so if that's not your thing, you probably won't be interested in this one.
MY CURRENT SYSTEM
I cut some more spruce at the tablesaw to make some columns that would later support the doors for the extension. These were glued and screwed on to the frame. I could then add cladding to the front panels.
I wanted one single piece of cladding to run the length of the front of the extension right at the top.
I measured and cut to length one of the cladding pieces.
In this video I'm going to be adding an extension to my workshop.
The extension will hold be cantilevered from one of the walls of my workshop, to make it as unobstructive as possible in my garden.
And it will be mounted to the uprights of the workshop wall. It's a bit of an experiment, as I'm not entirely certain that the wall will be able to take the weight - but we'll find out!
And the plan is to use the extra space to install a new dust collection system with a cyclone.
In this video I make a vinyl / records display box using some salvaged oak veneered MDF which came from some bookshelves reclaimed from an old library.
I used mahogany to trim the edges of the box.
Recently one of my YouTube viewers got in touch about a commission. He was looking for a desk tidy to hold some bottles of ink, and some pens with a drawer where he could put his phone, wallet and keys.
He mentioned that he liked the wedding box and chess set that I'd made and said he was happy to let me design something.
So here's what I came up with as a concept. And my idea was to build the bottom drawer section first as a bandsaw box, and then mount some pieces on top to form the pen tray and ink bottle holders.
A couple of years ago I salvaged some hat and coat stands, and I used them to make loads of things like this table top, a neck for an electric guitar, this table frame and this chopping board.
I saved all the coat hooks from them so I decided to make some coat racks.
I found a few pallets recently so I decided to use pallet wood.
So I broke them all down in to pieces, and removed the nails.
And I decided to use some of these wider pallet slats from one of the pallets.
I had a few small offcuts of this 18mm spruce plywood, and they were kind of getting in the way in the workshop so I wanted to find a use for them. These were offcuts from the hifi unit commission that I made recently.
I wanted to make another plywood table top because I really like the last one that I'd made. But I wanted this one to be quite different in style.
I started by ripping the pieces of ply in to 35mm wide strips at the tablesaw