In this video I repair and restore a vintage display cabinet. I sand and re-finish the top, re-finish the legs and make new shelves for it.
In this video I test the strength of various materials like melamine, plywood, MDF and solid wood with biscuits and without biscuits to see if biscuits add any strength.
I've heard people say that biscuits are purely for alignment, but others say that they add strength.
The results were very surprising to me!
In this video I make a commission hifi and vinyl unit from some plywood.
I started by designing what the client wanted in SketchUp.
I ripped the pieces of ply in to more manageable pieces using my circular saw and a straight edge, and then I could make the finer more accurate cuts on the tablesaw.
I cut mitre joints at each corner of the unit on the tablesaw using my panel cutting sled.
I also cut housing joints for the shelves.
I also used the biscuit jointer to install the front panel, just to get it perfectly aligned.
The next job was to fit the piano hinge for the lid. I cut the hinge to length with a hacksaw.
The hinge was around 3mm thick so I wanted to cut a recess for the hinge to sit in, in the rim of the box.
I set up a straight edge and used my router with a straight bit to make the cut, squaring up the corners with a chisel. Before adding the screws, I first glued the lid to the hinge using some epoxy so that I could ensure the placement of the lid was right. After the glue had set, I could then fit the hinge with the brass screws after drilling some pilot holes.
With the four sides of the box assembled, I needed to flatten the edges ready for the top and bottom panels to be added. I used some sandpaper stuck to a piece of flat melamine with sticky back tape for this.
I cleaned up the edges of the box and the dovetail joints at the belt sander.