The New Mitre Station (part 2 of 3) - Workshop Re-Model Episode 5
Submitted by Keith on Monday 26/12/2016
In part 2 of the mitre station build, I started by fitting some structural supports/spacers to the mitresaw stand. These would make the structure more rigid and also ensure that the space between the two panels would be evenly spaced so that I could later fit a drawer in the space.
Next I made a hood for the mitresaw to help contain any dust that my shop vac doesn’t catch. I used some salvaged blockboard to make the hood, and another piece of white 1 inch thick melamine for the top. I needed to cut away some of the material with the jigsaw to fit around both the workshop wall uprights and around a plug socket so that it was still accessible.
To fit the mitresaw to the melamine top, I made sure to position it so that all the tilt and pivot functions worked as they should. Then I drilled pilot holes and added bolts, washers and nuts to secure the saw to the worktop. The bolts I used were too long so I used an angle grinder to cut them to the right length.
I made the drawer for the mitresaw cabinet from some more blockboard and a piece of low grade plywood for the bottom. I used the same method as I had used for the drawers in my tablesaw stand, however this time it didn’t go as well as the drawer was about 1mm too wide. I tackled this by removing the drawer runners, running the assembled drawer through the tablesaw to trim off 1mm from one of the sides, and then re-fitted the runners. This worked well.
For the drawer front, I used some more poplar that came from some salvaged pallet collars which would match the pieces I used to trim the plywood edges on the rest of the mitre station. There were a lot of imperfections and knots in the wood so I ripped the best pieces on the tablesaw and glued up a panel big enough to use for the drawer front.
Once the glue had dried, I ran the panel through the thickness planer to clean it up and attached it to the drawer temporarily using hot glue until I could secure it permanently with screws from the inside of the drawer.
I made a handle for the drawer from another poplar offcut, ripped at an angle on the tablesaw to form a “finger pull” shape.
I finished the drawer front with some boiled linseed oil