Mobile Tablesaw Stand for DeWalt DW745 (part 1 of 2) - Workshop Re-Model Episode 2

In this video I start making a mobile stand for my tablesaw the DeWalt DW745 as part of my workshop re-model to achieve a new layout.
 
My old mobile stand for the tablesaw had been thrown together quite quickly and so there were a number of improvements I wanted to make for the new version.
 
I started by designing the stand in 3D using SketchUp to get an idea of what I could make from the materials I had.  As usual, I just wanted to use reclaimed materials, stuff I already had in my workshop.
 
I’ve created some free plans showing full dimensions and a cut list – this is available on the Resources page. These plans are optimised – i.e. any mistakes I made during the build process, I have rectified for the plans.
 
I wanted the following:
· For it to be the same height as my workbench, so that I could use my workbench as an outfeed table
· An extension table – this would give me more work surface in the workshop and also makes it easier to rip larger sheet materials on the saw
· Space for my tablesaw jigs – like my cross cut sled, frame spline and tenon jigs
· A couple of drawers for tablesaw accessories – wrenches, push sticks, angle guauge, inserts etc.
· Space to introduce a new shop vac to the workshop – one that will be permanently hooked up to the tablesaw
 
It was a challenge finding a 30 litre shop vac that would fit on the stand underneath the tablesaw, as I was restricted to 523mm height, and a lot of the manufacturers don’t list the dimensions of the products they sell on their websites!  But eventually I found one in my local ScrewFIx – a Titan 30 litre 1400 watt machine.  It would only fit in the space without either the handle attached, or the wheels – I opted to take the handle off, and add the wheels to the bottom – and that just fits inside nicely with about 5mm height clearance.  
 
I started by cutting the plywood panels to size based on the 3D drawing I’d done – there are 5 panels in total (excluding the back panel which is optional) and I used 18mm thick material just because that’s what I had. I didn’t have quite enough plywood to make the whole thing so ended up using a piece of melamine for the central shelf.
 
With the panels cut to size, I could then assemble.  Simple construction - butt joints, drilled pilot holes, applied wood glue and used drywall screws (again, just because that’s what I had available).  I used a speed square to keep everything square and measured carefully to ensure that the tablesaw’s table and the extension table would sit at exactly the right height that I wanted based on my drawing.
 
I re-used the castors from my old tablesaw stand on the new stand – these were screwed in place and I used some brass washers to get a bit more purchase.
 
For the top section where the drawers would be, I wanted to ensure that this was spaced accurately so I cut a couple of scrap pieces to use as “spacers” – it worked out really well.  I also ended up using the spacers as kind of a cleat type thing (not sure how better to explain!), to attach the worktop from underneath.
 
For the extension table, I used a scrap piece of kitchen worktop that I had left over from my kitchen re-fit earlier in the year.  It was 40mm thick.  I cut it to size on the tablesaw.  
 
I used some pieces of wood that I’d salvaged from an old futon bed some time ago to make a trim for the extension table to hide the chipboard edges of the melamine worktop.  I cut 45 degree mitres and glued and nailed them in place. 
 
This build will continue in part 2 when I will make a back panel for the stand, add a trim using some poplar to hide the plywood edges at the front, and build and install the two drawers.
 
Images: