Here's the electric guitar build with no talking - just the action.
In this video I play the guitar for the first time and go through my final thoughts, project costs, etc.
In this video I string up the guitar for the first time and encounter some bridge problems. Eventually I overcome them! Then we wire up the electrics and fit the final parts.
In this video I make a pickguard for the guitar, buff the finish and screw on the neck to the body
In this video I fit the bridge and the pickups, route out a cavity for the electrics to sit in, apply a headstock decal logo and start to apply the lacquer finish to the body and neck
In this video I work on the guitar body
In this video, I started by doing some shaping of the end of the frets with an electric file, a hand file, and the orbital sander to round over the sharp edges and make the neck more comfortable to play.
Next I wanted to add some fret dots to the side of the neck. I had an idea to use cocktail sticks or “tooth picks” for this. I first marked up where the holes would need to be drilled with an awl, and then I drilled appropriately sized holes to accommodate the sticks, added wood glue, inserted the cocktail sticks, flush cut them and sanded to finish.
In this video I started by cutting a slot for the nut to slot in to the fretboard. I did this on the cross cut sled on my tablesaw, making a couple of passes to get the slot to the right size. Then I did a bit of shaping to the end of the fretboard using the belt sander.
Next I wanted to add the frets to the neck, and I used a free online tool by StewMac which accurately calculates the correct fret spacing for the scale of any guitar. Then I carefully marked these up measuring the distance from the nut slot using a steel ruler.
In this video I began by drilling the holes for the tuners to fit in to the headstock. I did lots of careful measuring to check that the tuners were eventy spaced out and level with the string slots of the nut. I first drilled some pilot holes with a 2mm drill bit on the drill press, and then I drilled the holes to their final size.
The heatstock wasn’t quite wide enough, so I glued on another strip of oak to it. Once the glue had dried, I could then shape the headstock on the bandsaw and belt sander.